Wednesday, February 4, 2009

book in progress

The books are a way to move through ideas quickly and they are available for endless revisions. I am experimenting with some different materials here (plastic film, ink, acrylic, vinyl letters and enamel paint,etc.). The evolution of the books and collages is happening alongside the larger paintings. The books are an outlet for nervous energy. The kind of focus is different when I'm working on the larger paintings.



This book began as a medical textbook. Many of the collaged pieces came from a book on gardens. I am mostly responding to colors and shapes as I'm working but I think much of the content here ends up being this literal imagery and text peeking through the veils.The bird names came later. I tried to think of birds I've seen or birds I hope to see.

I added digital sound devices to some of the pages.